Alcohol And Its Impact On The Brain
As far as alcohol intake is concerned, men and women are not equally affected by it in a similar manner. If you move deeper into the facts, women are more susceptible to the effects of alcohol as they tend to have more fat in their body. Due to this, alcohol enters the blood stream more easily as compared to men. Moreover, the body structure of a woman is lighter as compared to a man that aids in enhancing the concentration of alcohol in blood immediately after consumption. While this fact appears simple, further researches have been published regarding the consumption of alcohol. According to studies led by research scientists at Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM) and Veterans Affairs (VA) Boston Healthcare System, the trend of alcoholism has been associated with white matter that allows proper exchange of information between different segments of brain.
White matter of brain and alcohol:
White matter forms the connections between neurons, allowing communication between different areas of the brain. The study was conducted to determine the efffect of alcohol on white matter. The result of this study revealed that the white matter content of the brain was much less in men and women after prolonged periods of drinking. On the other hand, the percentage of recovery was quite different according to reports and statistics. While women showed an increase in the volume of white matter after abstaining from alcohol for more than year, the percentage was lesser in men. However, it is to be remembered that all these studies are case specific and differed from one individual to another. Nevertheless, researchers concluded that the rate of recovery of the white matter of brain during abstinence from alcohol is more in women as compared to men.
When it comes to alcohol, the effects of drinking are different in men and women. Therefore, both men and women should understand and comply with the facts before drinking. However, men should not indulge too while drinking and remain aware about the effects of alcohol on the brain.
Alcohol consumption: Things to follow
The following guidelines should be followed by men and women during the consumption of alcohol:
- • It is necessary to exercise caution on the consumption of alcohol and impose restriction whenever required.
- • Alcohol should be consumed with food containing high protein such as meat, cheese and nuts.
- • Forcible alcohol consumption should be avoided at all costs.
- • There are different varieties of alcohol that are available and you must consume something the suits your body and brain.
- • Skipping a drink occasionally is useful.
- • Staying in one place or sitting quietly in one corner while drinking should be avoided. You should rather try to remain active while drinking that will reduce the effect of alcohol on the brain.
- • Alcohol is likely to have more impact on women particularly during hormonal changes, pregnency or menstrual cycle.
Please share with others if you think the above information is useful.